Family members are also called your relatives. Two types of family are there,
- Immediate or nuclear family.
- An extended family.
Let see some of the vocabulary related to family that you can use while speaking about family.
Immediate Family members are:
- Father–A man in relation to his natural child or children.
- Mother–a woman in relation to her child or children.
- Son–A boy or man in relation to either or both of his parents.
- Daughter–A girl or woman in relation to her parents.
- Brother–A man or boy in relation to other sons and daughters of his parents.
- Sister–A woman or girl in relation to other daughters and sons of her parents.
- Husband–A married man considered in relation to his spouse.
- Wife–A married woman considered in relation to her spouse.
- Sibling–Each of two or more children or offspring having one or both parents in common; a brother or sister.
- Spouse–A husband or wife, considered in relation to their partner.
Relatives and Extended Family:
- Grandparents: the parents of your parents.
- Grandfather: the father of your father/mother.
- Grandmother: the mother of your father/mother.
- Grandchildren: the children of your children.
- Grandson: the son of one of your children.
- Granddaughter: the daughter of one of your children.
- Great grandfather: the father of your grandfather/grandmother.
- Great-grandmother: the mother of your grandfather/grandmother.
- Uncle: the brother (or brother-in-law) of your mother/father.
- Aunt: the sister (or sister-in-law)of your mother/father.
- Cousin: the child of your aunt/uncle.
- Nephew: the male child of your brother/sister.
- Niece: the female child of your brother/sister.
Hello! there are five people in my family: my grandmother, my parents, my brother, who is two years older than me and myself. I’m very close to my family. Although my brother and I have to go to school in another city, not in my hometown, we try to spend as much time as possible with the family. We have lunch together every weekend. At that lunch, I usually help my mother to cook some Vietnamese traditional foods. By the way, I play badminton with my brother twice a week, he’s funny and jokes me at all time. I love my family very much.
There are four people in my immediate family: my parents, my brother, and me. My brother is two years older than me. He is a small business owner.