In this blog, we will discuss how to talk about cinema in English. A film, cinema, and pictures are synonyms for a movie. After reading this you will have a clear Idea about vocabularies that required to talk about a movie. Also, you will learn, how to use English grammar to talk about a movie, that you recently watched.
Genre (noun): A kind or style of movie. This will explain a type of film or kind of film. An example is given below.
- Action Movies.
- Adventure movies.
- Comedy movies.
- Drama movies.
Asking about a movie:
After reading this post you could answer “What is your favorite movie?”. Some of the other common question regarding movies are given below.
- What are movies released last month?
- Which is the most boring movie you’ve ever seen in your life?
- Is it an action movie or comedy?
- What genres of a film do you like?
Let’s start with last question ” What genres of a film do you like ?”. So how we could talk about movies. You could say that is an action movie or [ film name] is an action movie. But what does it mean? It means that that movie contains lots of exciting scenes and chases. I don’t like a horror movie. Most of the people don’t like horror movies because there are scenes that are designed to frighten people.
Vocabularies Related To Movies:
Now let’s try to learn few more vocabularies related to movies. Cast (noun): Casting is the selecting of actors to play the various roles and cast means all the actors and actresses in a movie.So you could say I like that movie because it had a good cast and an interesting story too.
See this question. Why do you like [movie name]?
Answer: Because it has an interesting plot also great cinematography and amazing performances. What is mean by plot and performance? Performance:(noun): An act of presenting a play, or another form of entertainment. Story (noun): “plot” is the sequence of events that happen in a story. On the other hand, “story” is what the work is all about. Scene (noun): A small part of a film. Jackie Chan’s performance in [Movie name] was surely one of the best of his career.
Cinema (noun): Cinema is cinema is really just another word meaning moving picture. The theater is similar to the cinema, in that it can mean the building a place where movies are shown on. Screen (noun), the flat surface that a movie is projected onto. Film (noun), is the synonym for “movie”. Read more.
Comedy (noun): A film with lots of funny scenes or a movie with the main emphasis is on humor.
Now read this statement. “[Movie name] is a family drama film written and directed by Majidi. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1988”. What is that means? Director (noun), a person who controls the making of a film or technical in charge of making a movie. Drama (noun), a movie about realistic characters in dramatic situations. Family movie (noun), is a film genre that contains children in the context of a family. Both children and adults can enjoy this type of movie.
Documentary (noun): A film that’s primarily directed for the purposes of instruction, education, or maintaining a historical record based on any story from real people, events or issues happens in past.
Entertainment (noun): An important aspect of entertainment is the audience, which turns a private recreation into entertainment.
A movie star (noun): An actor or actress also known as a film star and cinema star, who is famous for playing leading roles in a movie. Character (noun): One of the people in a movie.
Sci-fi (or “science fiction”) (noun): Science fiction film.A fictional science-based depiction of phenomena that are not fully accepted by mainstream science.
- [Movie name] is a CGI animated film series that began with the 2003 film, produced by Pixar and both films are directed by Andrew.
- [Movie name] is a 2004 American computer-animated comedy-drama film directed by Andrew Stanton and co-directed by Carlos.
- “ABCD” is a 2000 science fiction action film written and directed by Andrew Stanton, starring Reeves.
- [Movie name] is a 2016 American action-adventure film.
- [Movie name] is a 2011 science fiction film.
- “XYZ” is a 2009 British-American drama film. It is based on the true story.
- [Movie name] is a 2002 American biographical drama film based on the life of a person.
- [Movie name] is a 2010 American comedy film.
- “ABCD” is a 2005 American romantic drama film.
- The film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature and was nominated Best Original Screenplay.
- “Abcd” became the highest-grossing animated film at the time.
- [Movie name] was the second highest-grossing film of 2005.
- [Movie name] was released on July 10, 2010, and was a critical and commercial success.
- “XYZ” is a 2011 American 3D computer-animated comedy-drama film.
- The film was released in theaters July 10, 2015, and played worldwide from July through October.