Tips To Write A Formal IELTS letter:
This post will explain you, how to write a formal IELTS letter. This is for those students who want to attend the General Training module of the IELTS writing test.
First Step is to identify if the question is actually asking you to write a formal letter or not.
Check out Some of the common IELTS Complaint Letters.
- Letter to an unknown person will be formal.
- Letter to a person at higher or responsible position than you will be formal.
- Person elder to you but not from your family or neighbor than it must be formal.
- Writing a letter of complaint will be formal.
- If you need a letter of reference then you need to write a formal letter.
- Applying for a new job will be formal.
- Resigning from our existing job also formal.
- If you are sending a letter to a friend then it must be informal.
Prepare your letter:
In the IELTS test, you really should plan your answers. You can spend about 20 minutes on this task. Open and close the letter correctly. Remember that each type of letter requires a different opening and closing. We will discuss it.
Important points keep in mind:
- Try to be on topic.
- Use clear and legible handwriting.
- Three Important tips to be included in your letter.
- Give a reason for writing with some background information.
- Explain the situation in more detail, like why it bothers you.
- Give some suggestions or request.
- Use precise vocabulary.
- Don’t assume that a word will fit perfectly in some sentences because if it is wrong it will. produce negative impact.
- Use only those word which you are 100 % sure.
- Use accurate grammar.
- Check singular and plural.
- No contractions
- I am ( not I’m).
- I will (not I’ll).
- You are (not You’re).
- I would (not I’d).
- He is (not His).
- Use logical structure between statement.
- use because, that, those , etc
- Use more passive expressions:
- I would be grateful if you could.
- Spelling (Memorize spelling for all the common words).
Common IELTS vocabularies and spelling mistakes are:
- letter, sincerely, faithfully, connections, across, process,
- disappoint, advertisement, ambulance, recommend. tomorrow,
- yesterday, week, apartment, approach, beautiful, awareness
- weak. accommodation, professor, comparison, concentration
- dormitory, education, eliminate, necessary. parallel, occasion.
- writing, engineer, enough, absence, accomplish, appearance
- regard, inform, apply, interest, response, unfortunately.
- dissatisfaction, recommend, success, access, assess
- address, argument, performance, calendar, committed
- Write 150 words.
- Finish in 20 minutes.
- Understand scoring criteria:
- Task achievement.
- Coherent and cohesion (present your idea logically).
- Lexical resource (Proper vocabulary and correct spelling).
- Grammar ranges and accuracy.
- Memories following parts of your letter.
- (Dear Sir/Madam)
- (I look forward to hearing from you. )
- Sign off:
- (Yours faithfully )
Please follow this standard structure:
- Start like : Dear Sir/Madam
- Paragraph 1: – Say why you are writing this letter.
- I am writing with regard to.
- I am writing to let you know that.
- I am writing to ask if.
- I am writing to inquire about.
- I am writing to inform you.
- I am writing in connections with.
- I’m writing this letter to you to apply for a.
- I am writing this letter to express my interest in.
- I am writing this letter in response to.
- Paragraph 2- Bullet point 2 and supporting details for second bullet point.
- Paragraph 3- Bullet point 3 and supporting details third bullet point given in the questions.
- Closing Line: I look forward to hearing from you/ I look forward o receiving your response on it.
- Yours faithfully.
- [Your Full Name]
Learn To Express Different Feelings:
- Dis like.
- Suggestions .
- Expressing gratitude.
- Expressing requirements or needs.
- Express annoyance or anger.
How to Write Dissatisfaction or dislike letter in IELTS Exam:
Lets see how to write ielts complaint letter. Your letter of complaint should follow the standard composition format for a formal letter. In the first body paragraph, open with a sentence that immediately draws the reader’s attention to the matter, e.g.:
- I am writing to complain about the.
- I am dissatisfied from.
- I am unhappy with the.
- Unfortunately I left my.
- I am unhappy about.
- I wish to express my dissatisfaction with.
- I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with.
- This is not expected from you.
- I am writing to express my dissatisfaction about.
- I am writing you to express my dissatisfaction with.
- I feel sorry about the.
- I was so sorry to hear about your.
- I was very shocked to get your letter saying that the.
- I felt amused when i got a letter in regard to that the.
How to Write Satisfaction or happiness letter in IELTS Exam:
- I am writing this letter to express my interest in.
- I wish to apply for a.
- Hope you are doing fine and enjoying your new role as.
- I hope you are doing well today. I am writing to you regarding the unit that I have.
How to Write Making a request or requirements or needs letter in IELTS Exam:
- I am writing for you to request an.
- I would like to get your support in arranging an.
- Could you please check your.
- What I am looking for is.
- I am writing to you to recommend one of my best friends.
- I am writing this letter to inform you about a problem of the door.
How to Write an apology letter In IELTS Exam:
- However, with deepest regret that I must decline your generous invitation and apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused.
- However, I regret to inform you that I will not be able to meet you at the airport as soon as you arrive.
- I regret that.
- Please pardon me for.
- I am writing to inform you that I wish to move into a new room next term.
- However, to my disappointment, I have not received the watch.
How To Write Giving Suggestions Letter In IELTS:
- You have asked me for my advice concerning whether you should study history or computer science at university, and I will try to make some useful suggestions.
- Could I suggest that you should.
- Please inform me.
- please avoid.
How to Write Expressing gratitude letter In IELTS Exam:
- I am writing to express my heartfelt gratitude.
- I am very much looking forward to your visit to my city.
- Thank you very much for.
- It is highly appreciated.
How To Write Annoyance or Anger Letter In IELTS Exam:
- Even though you were instructed that.